Thursday, November 6, 2008

1st baby melt down

My poor Abby! She had her first real melt down concerning the baby today. We set the crib up and got everything all set with all the little baby clothes out and ready, and I had just thrown a new blanket over the side of the crib when Abby started to cry. She went over to the crib and said "baby get blankie." I told her that the baby doesn't get everything and that she has plenty of toys that she can play with, but all she wanted was the blanket for the baby and for mommy to hold her. It made me so sad, I don't want her to think that she is being replaced by Lyla. I think she just saw the crib and remembered that it used to be hers and she wanted to get in but Spence and I wouldn't let her and we told her that the crib was for baby Lyla and that she was a big girl now and she had her own big girl bed. Any ideas on how to deal with this?!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You guys are on the right track. We just tried to make Sophie feel as special as possible. You guys do really well with Abbey. One thing that I did for Sophie was to get her a present from Laynie so she could feel special at the hospital when she came to see her. Everyone that came to see the baby made Sophie feel very special. Have Abbey help you do things for the baby and set things up. The more you talk about Lyla the better she will adjust when she gets here! Don't worry... after Lyla gets here Abbey will still love you and she will be just fine!

Reid and Brittney said...

Sorry Amy I have no ideas, I didn't have to deal with that. I think you are doing great...she will be okay when the baby gets here. I like Amanda's idea about helping you get everything ready. Hope everything goes great. Don't worry everything will be fine!!! I am so excited to see pics of Lyla.

Nikki Nielson said...

I remember the days! In my situation I was the bigger baby. I was so worried about Mayli and what she would think that I just wanted to do lots of fun things just her and me before Tori came. We would go out to lunch and to the park and I just tried to make those last few days of just us really special. I to agree with Amanda and we can all help by being happy to see Abby too when we 1st get to see Lyla. She will be fine, it is an adjustment but you are her mom and your heart just gets bigger to make room for the love you have for Lyla too!